Stir-Fry of Pork with Vietnamese Flavors
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
This easy stir-fry explores the exquisite flavors of Vietnamese cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely sliced onions, (2-4 onions)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine ginger, peppers, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the orange juice, cornstarch and black pepper in a shallow dish. Add pork and toss to coat it with marinade. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Mix sugar, the remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce and 1 tablespoon orange juice in a small bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Swirl in 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until limp and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a plate. Wipe out the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and increase heat to high. Slowly drop in pork and stir-fry until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved fish sauce/orange juice mixture and the reserved onions; toss until the pork is coated with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice.
Per serving: 243 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 3 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- May/June 1995