Stir-Fried Noodles with Green Tea
Perfect for a hot summer's night, baked tofu, bell peppers and scallions are stir-fried with udon noodles in this quick and easy dish.
- 8 ounces udon or whole-wheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon loose green tea leaves, preferably gunpowder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces flavored baked tofu, (see Tip), cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 scallions, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add tea leaves (if using), ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tofu and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add red and yellow bell peppers and cook, stirring, until the peppers soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles, scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Precooked “baked tofu” is firmer than water-packed tofu and comes in a wide variety of flavors. We prefer flavors like “teriyaki,” “Thai” and “savory” in this recipe. You might also like flavored baked tofu on a sandwich or in a stir-fry.
Per serving: 420 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 593 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique