Stir-Fried Noodles with Green Tea
Perfect for a hot summer's night, baked tofu, bell peppers and scallions are stir-fried with udon noodles in this quick and easy dish.
- 8 ounces udon or whole-wheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon loose green tea leaves, preferably gunpowder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces flavored baked tofu, (see Tip), cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 scallions, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add tea leaves (if using), ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tofu and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add red and yellow bell peppers and cook, stirring, until the peppers soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles, scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Precooked “baked tofu” is firmer than water-packed tofu and comes in a wide variety of flavors. We prefer flavors like “teriyaki,” “Thai” and “savory” in this recipe. You might also like flavored baked tofu on a sandwich or in a stir-fry.
Per serving: 420 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 593 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique