Stir-Fried Noodles with Green Tea
Perfect for a hot summer's night, baked tofu, bell peppers and scallions are stir-fried with udon noodles in this quick and easy dish.
- 8 ounces udon or whole-wheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon loose green tea leaves, preferably gunpowder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces flavored baked tofu, (see Tip), cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 scallions, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add tea leaves (if using), ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tofu and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add red and yellow bell peppers and cook, stirring, until the peppers soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles, scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Precooked “baked tofu” is firmer than water-packed tofu and comes in a wide variety of flavors. We prefer flavors like “teriyaki,” “Thai” and “savory” in this recipe. You might also like flavored baked tofu on a sandwich or in a stir-fry.
Per serving: 420 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 593 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation