Stir-Fried Celery with Peanuts
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Prep all the ingredients before you begin the celery stir-fry—once the skillet is hot, the dish cooks in minutes. Cut zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler before you juice it.
- 2 strips (2-by-1/2-inch) orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 4 cups diagonally sliced celery (large outer stalks)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup halved and slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- Cut orange zest into fine slivers. Whisk orange juice, tamari (or soy sauce), honey and cornstarch in a small bowl until blended.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil, celery and the orange zest. Stir-fry until the celery is crisp-tender, but still bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic. Add the orange juice mixture and onion and stir-fry just until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2012