Stir-Fried Celery with Peanuts
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Prep all the ingredients before you begin the celery stir-fry—once the skillet is hot, the dish cooks in minutes. Cut zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler before you juice it.
- 2 strips (2-by-1/2-inch) orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 4 cups diagonally sliced celery (large outer stalks)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup halved and slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- Cut orange zest into fine slivers. Whisk orange juice, tamari (or soy sauce), honey and cornstarch in a small bowl until blended.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil, celery and the orange zest. Stir-fry until the celery is crisp-tender, but still bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic. Add the orange juice mixture and onion and stir-fry just until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012