Stir-Fried Celery with Peanuts
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Prep all the ingredients before you begin the celery stir-fry—once the skillet is hot, the dish cooks in minutes. Cut zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler before you juice it.
- 2 strips (2-by-1/2-inch) orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 4 cups diagonally sliced celery (large outer stalks)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup halved and slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- Cut orange zest into fine slivers. Whisk orange juice, tamari (or soy sauce), honey and cornstarch in a small bowl until blended.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil, celery and the orange zest. Stir-fry until the celery is crisp-tender, but still bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic. Add the orange juice mixture and onion and stir-fry just until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)