Stir-Fried Celery with Peanuts
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Prep all the ingredients before you begin the celery stir-fry—once the skillet is hot, the dish cooks in minutes. Cut zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler before you juice it.
- 2 strips (2-by-1/2-inch) orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 4 cups diagonally sliced celery (large outer stalks)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup halved and slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- Cut orange zest into fine slivers. Whisk orange juice, tamari (or soy sauce), honey and cornstarch in a small bowl until blended.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil, celery and the orange zest. Stir-fry until the celery is crisp-tender, but still bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic. Add the orange juice mixture and onion and stir-fry just until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2012