Stewed Chicken Thighs with Dried Fruits
Moist, meaty chicken simmers in a rich, mahogany-colored sauce. Dried prunes and apricots work in counterpoint to the touch of vinegar to create an unforgettable savory flavor. You'll want quick-cooking barley or whole-wheat couscous to soak it up.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 dried apricots, quartered
- 12 pitted prunes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, apricots, prunes and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and garnished with parsley.
Per serving: 448 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 9 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 1193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Potassium (34% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient