Stewed Chicken Thighs with Dried Fruits
Moist, meaty chicken simmers in a rich, mahogany-colored sauce. Dried prunes and apricots work in counterpoint to the touch of vinegar to create an unforgettable savory flavor. You'll want quick-cooking barley or whole-wheat couscous to soak it up.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 dried apricots, quartered
- 12 pitted prunes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, apricots, prunes and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and garnished with parsley.
Per serving: 448 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 9 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 1193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Potassium (34% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient