Stewed Chicken Thighs with Dried Fruits
Moist, meaty chicken simmers in a rich, mahogany-colored sauce. Dried prunes and apricots work in counterpoint to the touch of vinegar to create an unforgettable savory flavor. You'll want quick-cooking barley or whole-wheat couscous to soak it up.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 dried apricots, quartered
- 12 pitted prunes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, apricots, prunes and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and garnished with parsley.
Per serving: 448 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 9 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 1193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Potassium (34% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient