Stewed Chicken Thighs with Dried Fruits
Moist, meaty chicken simmers in a rich, mahogany-colored sauce. Dried prunes and apricots work in counterpoint to the touch of vinegar to create an unforgettable savory flavor. You'll want quick-cooking barley or whole-wheat couscous to soak it up.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 dried apricots, quartered
- 12 pitted prunes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, apricots, prunes and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and garnished with parsley.
Per serving: 448 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 9 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 1193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Potassium (34% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient