Steamed Vegetable Ribbons
Graceful ribbons of carrot and zucchini make a dramatic side dish that's surprisingly easy to make; just use a vegetable peeler to carve long paper-thin strips and steam until tender-crisp.
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- With a swivel vegetable peeler, shave carrots lengthwise into wide ribbons. Repeat with zucchini, shaving long, wide strips from all sides until you reach the seedy core. Discard the core.
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add the carrots; cover and steam for 2 minutes. Place the zucchini over the carrots; cover and steam until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Toss with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 51 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 11/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique