Steamed Vegetable Ribbons
Graceful ribbons of carrot and zucchini make a dramatic side dish that's surprisingly easy to make; just use a vegetable peeler to carve long paper-thin strips and steam until tender-crisp.
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- With a swivel vegetable peeler, shave carrots lengthwise into wide ribbons. Repeat with zucchini, shaving long, wide strips from all sides until you reach the seedy core. Discard the core.
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add the carrots; cover and steam for 2 minutes. Place the zucchini over the carrots; cover and steam until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Toss with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 51 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 11/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable