Steamed Vegetable Ribbons
Graceful ribbons of carrot and zucchini make a dramatic side dish that's surprisingly easy to make; just use a vegetable peeler to carve long paper-thin strips and steam until tender-crisp.
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- With a swivel vegetable peeler, shave carrots lengthwise into wide ribbons. Repeat with zucchini, shaving long, wide strips from all sides until you reach the seedy core. Discard the core.
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add the carrots; cover and steam for 2 minutes. Place the zucchini over the carrots; cover and steam until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Toss with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 51 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 11/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable