Steamed Mussels in Tomato Broth
With fresh mussels increasingly available at supermarket fish counters, you can easily make this bistro favorite at home.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Warm oil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, increase the heat to high and stir for 1 minute more. Pour in wine and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels, cover and steam, occasionally giving the pan a vigorous shake, until all the mussels have opened, 3 to 4 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Transfer the mussels to a serving bowl. Spoon the broth over the mussels and sprinkle with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To clean mussels, scrub them with a stiff brush under cold running water. Scrape off any barnacles using the shell of another mussel. Just before cooking, pull off the "beard" from each one.
- Discard any mussels with broken shells or any that do not close when tapped.
Per serving: 267 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (146% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Iron (45% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient