Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
Here's a healthy dinner on the go, an easy sandwich you can pack up and take in the car when you're rushing the kids off to soccer or band. It's also a quick favorite when the adults just want to hang out on the deck on Saturday night with a pitcher of sangria on the side.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound top round steak, 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 8 4-inch whole-wheat pitas, or four 8-inch pitas, split open (see Tip)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place steak in a shallow dish and pour half the dressing over it. Let marinate at room temperature, turning once, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by adding lettuce, cucumber and tomato to the remaining dressing in the bowl; toss to coat.
- Transfer the meat to a broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 3 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain. Mix the meat with the salad and fill each pita. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Warm pitas on the bottom rack of the oven while the steak is broiling.
Per serving: 408 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (66% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)