Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
Here's a healthy dinner on the go, an easy sandwich you can pack up and take in the car when you're rushing the kids off to soccer or band. It's also a quick favorite when the adults just want to hang out on the deck on Saturday night with a pitcher of sangria on the side.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound top round steak, 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 8 4-inch whole-wheat pitas, or four 8-inch pitas, split open (see Tip)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place steak in a shallow dish and pour half the dressing over it. Let marinate at room temperature, turning once, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by adding lettuce, cucumber and tomato to the remaining dressing in the bowl; toss to coat.
- Transfer the meat to a broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 3 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain. Mix the meat with the salad and fill each pita. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Warm pitas on the bottom rack of the oven while the steak is broiling.
Per serving: 408 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (66% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient