Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
Here's a healthy dinner on the go, an easy sandwich you can pack up and take in the car when you're rushing the kids off to soccer or band. It's also a quick favorite when the adults just want to hang out on the deck on Saturday night with a pitcher of sangria on the side.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound top round steak, 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 8 4-inch whole-wheat pitas, or four 8-inch pitas, split open (see Tip)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place steak in a shallow dish and pour half the dressing over it. Let marinate at room temperature, turning once, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by adding lettuce, cucumber and tomato to the remaining dressing in the bowl; toss to coat.
- Transfer the meat to a broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 3 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain. Mix the meat with the salad and fill each pita. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Warm pitas on the bottom rack of the oven while the steak is broiling.
Per serving: 408 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Selenium (66% dv), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient