Steak & Potato Kebabs with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Steak kebabs get a Southwestern spin with poblano peppers and a creamy sauce spiked with cilantro, chile powder, cumin and vinegar. The potatoes are partially cooked in the microwave before putting them on the grill so they're done at the same time as faster-cooking steak, peppers and onions. Serve with: Green salad and Spanish rice.
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 new or baby red potatoes
- 1 1/4 pounds strip steak, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 poblano peppers , or 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Combine cilantro, vinegar, sour cream, garlic, chile powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave on High until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes.
- Toss the potatoes, steak and pepper pieces with oil and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Thread the potatoes, steak, peppers and onion chunks onto 8 skewers. Grill, turning once or twice, until the steak reaches desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium. Serve the kebabs with the reserved sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 10- to 12-inch skewers
Per serving: 271 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 368 mg sodium; 786 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C & Zinc (35% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Latin American
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)