Steak & Potato Salad with Horseradish Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
The classic combination of steak and potatoes gets a summer makeover with the addition of fresh grilled corn and green beans. Reserve some of the tangy horseradish dressing if you like and toss it with lettuce as a bed for the steak salad. Serve with a glass of cold pilsner.
- 1 pound baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 12 ounces green beans (about 3 cups), trimmed
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh chives or scallion greens
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ears corn, husked
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Add beans to the steamer basket, cover and cook until bright green and just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Rinse in a colander with cold water until cool. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl. Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters and add to the bowl with the beans. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, vinegar, horseradish, Worcestershire and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in oil.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 6 minutes per side for medium. Grill the corn, turning occasionally, until marked and tender, 8 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board; let the steak rest for 5 minutes. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob (see Tips). Thinly slice the steak crosswise. Add the steak and any accumulated juice and the corn kernels to the bowl with the potatoes and beans; toss with the horseradish dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare potatoes and green beans (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Tips: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- To remove corn kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
Per serving: 376 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 278 mg sodium; 1141 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Zinc (34% dv), Potassium (33% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2010