Seared Steak with Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
It only takes one skillet to make this restaurant-worthy pan-seared steak recipe with creamy caramelized onion and blue cheese sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and increase the heat to medium. Stir in onion, water and brown sugar, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden brown and the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. (Add more water a tablespoon at a time if the onions are browning too quickly.)
- Remove from the heat. Stir in blue cheese and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve the steaks with about 2 tablespoons sauce each.
Per serving: 262 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 388 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (30% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012