Seared Steak with Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
It only takes one skillet to make this restaurant-worthy pan-seared steak recipe with creamy caramelized onion and blue cheese sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and increase the heat to medium. Stir in onion, water and brown sugar, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden brown and the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. (Add more water a tablespoon at a time if the onions are browning too quickly.)
- Remove from the heat. Stir in blue cheese and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve the steaks with about 2 tablespoons sauce each.
Per serving: 262 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 388 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (30% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2012