Seared Steak with Mustard-Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
With this quick steak recipe, you can be sitting down to juicy pan-seared steak with a rich and savory sauce in just 30 minutes.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the vegetables, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour in broth and wine and cook, stirring and scraping up the browned, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in mustard and any accumulated juices from the steak. Serve the steak with about 1/4 cup sauce each.
Per serving: 239 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012