Seared Steak with Mustard-Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
With this quick steak recipe, you can be sitting down to juicy pan-seared steak with a rich and savory sauce in just 30 minutes.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the vegetables, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour in broth and wine and cook, stirring and scraping up the browned, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in mustard and any accumulated juices from the steak. Serve the steak with about 1/4 cup sauce each.
Per serving: 239 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012