Seared Steak with Mustard-Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
With this quick steak recipe, you can be sitting down to juicy pan-seared steak with a rich and savory sauce in just 30 minutes.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the vegetables, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour in broth and wine and cook, stirring and scraping up the browned, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in mustard and any accumulated juices from the steak. Serve the steak with about 1/4 cup sauce each.
Per serving: 239 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012