Seared Steak with Mustard-Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
With this quick steak recipe, you can be sitting down to juicy pan-seared steak with a rich and savory sauce in just 30 minutes.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the vegetables, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour in broth and wine and cook, stirring and scraping up the browned, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in mustard and any accumulated juices from the steak. Serve the steak with about 1/4 cup sauce each.
Per serving: 239 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (29% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012