Seared Steak with Pan-Roasted Grape & Port Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This recipe for quick pan-seared steak with a savory-sweet port wine and grape sauce makes a delicious weeknight dinner.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/4 cup diced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-low heat. Add grapes and cook, stirring occasionally and pressing down on them with the back of a spoon, until the grapes are brown in spots and mostly broken down, 4 to 6 minutes. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Add port, broth, thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the steaks with about 3 tablespoons sauce each.
Per serving: 246 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (30% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- November/December 2012