Seared Steak with Pan-Roasted Grape & Port Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This recipe for quick pan-seared steak with a savory-sweet port wine and grape sauce makes a delicious weeknight dinner.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless strip steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/4 cup diced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Pat steaks dry and cut into 4 equal portions. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, covered with foil.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-low heat. Add grapes and cook, stirring occasionally and pressing down on them with the back of a spoon, until the grapes are brown in spots and mostly broken down, 4 to 6 minutes. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Add port, broth, thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the steaks with about 3 tablespoons sauce each.
Per serving: 246 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (30% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012