From EatingWell: September/October 2008
A brandied mixed mushroom sauce tops seared strip steak in our healthy version of the classic dish Steak Diane. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.
- 1 pound boneless strip steak, such as top loin or New York, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Season steaks on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add the steaks and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring, until golden brown and beginning to release their juices, about 3 minutes. Add brandy and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine butter and flour in a small bowl to form a paste. When the pan sauce is reduced by half, whisk in mustard, then gradually whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return the steak to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Turn to coat with the sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Top the steak with the sauce and sprinkle with chives.
Per serving: 288 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 542 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008