From EatingWell: September/October 2008
A brandied mixed mushroom sauce tops seared strip steak in our healthy version of the classic dish Steak Diane. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.
- 1 pound boneless strip steak, such as top loin or New York, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Season steaks on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add the steaks and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring, until golden brown and beginning to release their juices, about 3 minutes. Add brandy and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine butter and flour in a small bowl to form a paste. When the pan sauce is reduced by half, whisk in mustard, then gradually whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return the steak to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Turn to coat with the sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Top the steak with the sauce and sprinkle with chives.
Per serving: 288 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 542 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008