From EatingWell: September/October 2008
A brandied mixed mushroom sauce tops seared strip steak in our healthy version of the classic dish Steak Diane. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.
- 1 pound boneless strip steak, such as top loin or New York, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Season steaks on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add the steaks and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring, until golden brown and beginning to release their juices, about 3 minutes. Add brandy and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine butter and flour in a small bowl to form a paste. When the pan sauce is reduced by half, whisk in mustard, then gradually whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return the steak to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Turn to coat with the sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Top the steak with the sauce and sprinkle with chives.
Per serving: 288 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 542 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008