Steak Burritos for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Here’s a burrito inspired by San Francisco’s super burritos that come packed with meat, beans, rice, guacamole and salsa. We’ve kept this home-style version for two a bit simpler to make and a whole lot healthier with brown rice, whole-wheat tortillas and a more reasonable serving size. We recommend wrapping it in foil—the traditional way to serve it—so you can pick the burrito up and eat it without it falling apart, peeling back the foil as you go. Serve with a cold beer and vinegar-dressed slaw.
- 1/4 cup prepared fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant brown rice
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, preferably low-sodium, rinsed
- 6 ounces strip steak, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared guacamole
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine salsa and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in beans, return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To assemble, divide the steak among the tortillas and top with equal amounts of cheese, guacamole, cilantro and the rice mixture. Roll each tortilla up into a burrito.
Per serving: 471 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (29% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Calcium & Iron (23% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2011