From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Here’s a burrito inspired by San Francisco’s super burritos that come packed with meat, beans, rice, cheese, guacamole and salsa. We’ve kept this home-style version a bit simpler to make and a whole lot healthier with brown rice, whole-wheat tortillas and a more reasonable serving size. We recommend wrapping it in foil—the traditional way to serve it—so you can pick the burrito up and eat it without it falling apart, peeling back the foil as you go. Serve with a cold beer and vinegar-dressed slaw.
- 1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, preferably low-sodium, rinsed
- 12 ounces strip steak, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared guacamole
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine salsa and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in beans, return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To assemble, divide the steak among the tortillas and top with equal amounts of cheese, guacamole, cilantro and the rice mixture. Roll each tortilla up into a burrito.
Per serving: 471 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (29% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Calcium & Iron (23% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2011