Steak & Potatoes with Anchovy-Caper Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
You’ll never think of “steak and potatoes” the same way once you taste them drizzled with this smoky, full-flavored anchovy-caper vinaigrette. Serve with steamed green beans.
- 1 pound red potatoes, halved if small, quartered if larger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked
- 1-1 1/4 pounds skirt steak (see Note), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Broiler Variation.)
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, parsley, anchovies (or anchovy paste), capers, garlic and paprika in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle steaks with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill the steak 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak and potatoes drizzled with the vinaigrette.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Depending on your region, skirt steak may not be something your supermarket regularly carries—call ahead to make sure it’s available or ask your butcher to order it for you. It’s usually sold in about 1-pound cuts up to 18 inches long and 5 inches wide, but just 1/4 inch thick. Before cooking, cut the steak with the grain into several portions to make the long piece more manageable on the grill or in a skillet. Once cooked, be sure to slice it across the grain for maximum tenderness. Hanger steak, flat-iron and flank steak can all be used as substitutes for skirt steak in most recipes.
- Broiler Variation: Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan or large baking sheet with cooking spray. Broil steak on the prepared pan, turning once, 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium.
Per serving: 341 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 478 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (40% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)