I don't care for squash but received a couple in a produce co-op basket, so needed to find a way to use it up. This was great! Could tell it had squash but wasn't overpowering, had the right balance of spices, etc. The whole family loved it. Good thing, too, because we had to quadruple the recipe to use up the squash. Even with that, I don't think it'll last long!
Squash Tea Bread
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Pureed winter squash, honey and sugar give this tea bread a round, rich sweetness. It's terrific warm with a little pat of butter for breakfast, snack or even dessert and of course afternoon tea, if you're so inclined.
9 Reviews for Squash Tea Bread
I used a bag of frozen cubed butternut squashed (nuked it and let it cool, then mashed like bananas) to make a double batch of this. The spices and honey make it warm and spicy but not overly so. Beautifully balanced. New favorite!
I made these as cupcakes instead, halved the sugar and topped them off with peanut butter chips. Came out perfectly! Light and airy texture and not too sweet. It reminded me of carrot cake :D
I didn't have cloves or ginger, so I doubled the allspice and used nutmeg in place of the ginger. Nit has a really good flavor. I like that I can still taste some of the squash flavor.
This bread has a wonderful flavor, so I keep making it, but it always turns out underdone on the bottom though my toothpick comes out clean. I have to make mini loaves because of my small oven in China. I don't have this problem with any other quick bread recipe. Any suggestions?
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)