Squash & Corn Chowder
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy corn chowder recipe, heavy cream is replaced with milk and flour-thickened chicken broth and we keep sodium amounts reasonable with lower-sodium broth. By making your own homemade creamy vegetable and corn chowder, you’ll save up to 300 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat and 500 milligrams of sodium per serving compared to many store-bought or restaurant chowders.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups diced summer squash
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- Shredded pepper Jack cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour, marjoram, salt and pepper over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth and milk; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in squash, potatoes and corn; bring just to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add ham and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve topped with scallions and cheese, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, slowly reheat over medium-low or microwave on Medium power.
Per serving: 237 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 737 mg sodium; 795 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014