Squash & Corn Chowder
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy corn chowder recipe, heavy cream is replaced with milk and flour-thickened chicken broth and we keep sodium amounts reasonable with lower-sodium broth. By making your own homemade creamy vegetable and corn chowder, you’ll save up to 300 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat and 500 milligrams of sodium per serving compared to many store-bought or restaurant chowders.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups diced summer squash
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- Shredded pepper Jack cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour, marjoram, salt and pepper over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth and milk; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in squash, potatoes and corn; bring just to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add ham and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve topped with scallions and cheese, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, slowly reheat over medium-low or microwave on Medium power.
Per serving: 237 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 737 mg sodium; 795 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014