Squash & Corn Chowder
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy corn chowder recipe, heavy cream is replaced with milk and flour-thickened chicken broth and we keep sodium amounts reasonable with lower-sodium broth. By making your own homemade creamy vegetable and corn chowder, you’ll save up to 300 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat and 500 milligrams of sodium per serving compared to many store-bought or restaurant chowders.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups diced summer squash
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- Shredded pepper Jack cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour, marjoram, salt and pepper over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth and milk; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in squash, potatoes and corn; bring just to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add ham and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve topped with scallions and cheese, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, slowly reheat over medium-low or microwave on Medium power.
Per serving: 237 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 737 mg sodium; 795 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014