Spring Vegetable Stew
This rich, satisfying vegetable stew celebrates the first vegetables of spring—artichokes, leeks, carrots and peas. For a truly indulgent flair, omit the butter at the end and drizzle each serving with a little truffle oil.
- 1/2 ounce dried morels , (see Note) or porcini mushrooms (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 large lemon
- 6 large artichokes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium leeks, white part only, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme , or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup baby lima beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas , (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cover mushrooms with warm water in a small bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Rinse the mushrooms well under cold water; drain and chop. Strain the reserved liquid through a coffee filter or paper towel to remove any dirt.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with water; juice the lemon and, reserving half the juice, add the rest along with the lemon halves to the water. Pull off outer leaves from an artichoke. Using a small, sharp knife, remove the leaves down to the heart. Trim the bottom of the stem, then peel the stem. Scrape out the choke with a melon baller or spoon. Cut the heart into quarters and place in the lemon water to prevent browning. Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks, carrots, garlic, thyme, mushrooms and the artichoke hearts; cook, stirring often, until the vegetables start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until slightly reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, salt and the reserved mushroom liquid. Cover and cook over low heat until the artichoke hearts and carrots are almost tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in lima beans and peas. Increase heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes more. Stir in butter and the reserved lemon juice. Season with pepper. Serve the stew in shallow bowls, garnished with chives and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Morel mushrooms are cone-shaped, with a honeycombed structure and a smoky flavor. Look for fresh morels at your farmers' market or supermarket in the spring; they are sold dried year-round.
Per serving: 271 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 14 g fiber; 646 mg sodium; 1005 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv), Folate (50% dv), Iron (30% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (29% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)