Spring Vegetable Ragout
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Italian ragus tend to be long-simmered dishes, but a French ragout is a quicker affair, a thick, cheesy stew. Tossed over pasta, this one is a true fusion, a halfway point between ragu and ragout.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and pale green parts only, halved, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, halved crosswise (1 cup)
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash and peas; cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add basil and pepper; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are juicy, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Drain the pasta; add it to the ragout and toss well to combine.
Per serving: 481 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 12 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Calcium (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006