Spring Vegetable Ragout
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Italian ragus tend to be long-simmered dishes, but a French ragout is a quicker affair, a thick, cheesy stew. Tossed over pasta, this one is a true fusion, a halfway point between ragu and ragout.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and pale green parts only, halved, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, halved crosswise (1 cup)
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash and peas; cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add basil and pepper; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are juicy, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Drain the pasta; add it to the ragout and toss well to combine.
Per serving: 481 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 12 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Calcium (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006