Spring Vegetable Ragout
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Italian ragus tend to be long-simmered dishes, but a French ragout is a quicker affair, a thick, cheesy stew. Tossed over pasta, this one is a true fusion, a halfway point between ragu and ragout.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and pale green parts only, halved, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, halved crosswise (1 cup)
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash and peas; cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add basil and pepper; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are juicy, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Drain the pasta; add it to the ragout and toss well to combine.
Per serving: 481 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 12 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Calcium (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006