Spring Vegetable Ragout
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Italian ragus tend to be long-simmered dishes, but a French ragout is a quicker affair, a thick, cheesy stew. Tossed over pasta, this one is a true fusion, a halfway point between ragu and ragout.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and pale green parts only, halved, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, halved crosswise (1 cup)
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash and peas; cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add basil and pepper; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are juicy, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Drain the pasta; add it to the ragout and toss well to combine.
Per serving: 481 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 12 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Calcium (45% dv), Folate & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006