Spring Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A bold, layered salad that showcases sardines and asparagus, this beautiful dish adds variety to your weekday dining. If you prefer tuna to sardines or have fish from the night before, go ahead and use that instead.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1 5-ounce bag mixed salad greens, (about 5 cups)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can sardines, drained
- 6 olives, (optional)
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add garlic and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Add asparagus, stirring to submerge if necessary, and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place under cold running water until cooled.
- Peel and slice eggs. Divide salad greens between 2 plates and top with the eggs, asparagus, tomatoes, sardines and olives (if using). Remove the garlic from the dressing, stir to combine and drizzle over the salads.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Hard-boil the eggs and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 360 calories; 26 g fat (4 g sat, 15 g mono); 287 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 846 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two