Spring Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A bold, layered salad that showcases sardines and asparagus, this beautiful dish adds variety to your weekday dining. If you prefer tuna to sardines or have fish from the night before, go ahead and use that instead.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1 5-ounce bag mixed salad greens, (about 5 cups)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can sardines, drained
- 6 olives, (optional)
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add garlic and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Add asparagus, stirring to submerge if necessary, and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place under cold running water until cooled.
- Peel and slice eggs. Divide salad greens between 2 plates and top with the eggs, asparagus, tomatoes, sardines and olives (if using). Remove the garlic from the dressing, stir to combine and drizzle over the salads.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Hard-boil the eggs and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 360 calories; 26 g fat (4 g sat, 15 g mono); 287 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 846 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two