Spring Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A bold, layered salad that showcases sardines and asparagus, this beautiful dish adds variety to your weekday dining. If you prefer tuna to sardines or have fish from the night before, go ahead and use that instead.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1 5-ounce bag mixed salad greens, (about 5 cups)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can sardines, drained
- 6 olives, (optional)
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add garlic and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Add asparagus, stirring to submerge if necessary, and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place under cold running water until cooled.
- Peel and slice eggs. Divide salad greens between 2 plates and top with the eggs, asparagus, tomatoes, sardines and olives (if using). Remove the garlic from the dressing, stir to combine and drizzle over the salads.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Hard-boil the eggs and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 360 calories; 26 g fat (4 g sat, 15 g mono); 287 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 846 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two