Spring Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A bold, layered salad that showcases sardines and asparagus, this beautiful dish adds variety to your weekday dining. If you prefer tuna to sardines or have fish from the night before, go ahead and use that instead.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1 5-ounce bag mixed salad greens, (about 5 cups)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can sardines, drained
- 6 olives, (optional)
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add garlic and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Add asparagus, stirring to submerge if necessary, and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place under cold running water until cooled.
- Peel and slice eggs. Divide salad greens between 2 plates and top with the eggs, asparagus, tomatoes, sardines and olives (if using). Remove the garlic from the dressing, stir to combine and drizzle over the salads.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Hard-boil the eggs and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 360 calories; 26 g fat (4 g sat, 15 g mono); 287 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 846 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two