From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Asparagus, chives and fontina cheese top this easy pizza recipe. Serve with baby greens tossed with vinaigrette and pecans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
You Might Also Like
- Position rack in lower third of oven, place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside. Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long; slice any thicker stalks in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 cup chives, salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle.
- Carefully remove the pizza stone or pan from the oven and set on a heatproof surface, such as your stovetop. Place the dough on the stone or pan and brush with the reserved garlic-oil mixture. Arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with the tips facing out. Top with cheese and the remaining chives.
- Carefully return the stone or pan to the oven and bake the pizza on the lower rack until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 167 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low cholesterol
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2012