From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Asparagus, chives and fontina cheese top this easy pizza recipe. Serve with baby greens tossed with vinaigrette and pecans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
You Might Also Like
- Position rack in lower third of oven, place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside. Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long; slice any thicker stalks in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 cup chives, salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle.
- Carefully remove the pizza stone or pan from the oven and set on a heatproof surface, such as your stovetop. Place the dough on the stone or pan and brush with the reserved garlic-oil mixture. Arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with the tips facing out. Top with cheese and the remaining chives.
- Carefully return the stone or pan to the oven and bake the pizza on the lower rack until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 167 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low cholesterol
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2012