From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Asparagus, chives and fontina cheese top this easy pizza recipe. Serve with baby greens tossed with vinaigrette and pecans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
You Might Also Like
- Position rack in lower third of oven, place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside. Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long; slice any thicker stalks in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 cup chives, salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle.
- Carefully remove the pizza stone or pan from the oven and set on a heatproof surface, such as your stovetop. Place the dough on the stone or pan and brush with the reserved garlic-oil mixture. Arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with the tips facing out. Top with cheese and the remaining chives.
- Carefully return the stone or pan to the oven and bake the pizza on the lower rack until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 167 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low cholesterol
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012