Spring Pea & Scallion Soup
You can use fresh or frozen peas, either of which delivers B vitamins, iron and fiber, in this soup, but if you do take the time to shell fresh peas, you will be rewarded with a special bright, springy flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions, (about 3 bunches)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shelled fresh peas (4 1/2 pounds unshelled), or frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, or tarragon leaves for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add peas and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peas are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan, pressing on the solids. Reheat gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chervil (or tarragon), if desired, and serve.
Per serving: 141 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 340 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Ease of Preparation