Spring Pea & Scallion Soup
You can use fresh or frozen peas, either of which delivers B vitamins, iron and fiber, in this soup, but if you do take the time to shell fresh peas, you will be rewarded with a special bright, springy flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions, (about 3 bunches)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shelled fresh peas (4 1/2 pounds unshelled), or frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, or tarragon leaves for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add peas and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peas are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan, pressing on the solids. Reheat gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chervil (or tarragon), if desired, and serve.
Per serving: 141 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 340 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Ease of Preparation