Spring Pea & Scallion Soup
You can use fresh or frozen peas, either of which delivers B vitamins, iron and fiber, in this soup, but if you do take the time to shell fresh peas, you will be rewarded with a special bright, springy flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions, (about 3 bunches)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shelled fresh peas (4 1/2 pounds unshelled), or frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, or tarragon leaves for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add peas and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peas are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan, pressing on the solids. Reheat gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chervil (or tarragon), if desired, and serve.
Per serving: 141 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 340 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)