Spring Pea & Scallion Soup
You can use fresh or frozen peas, either of which delivers B vitamins, iron and fiber, in this soup, but if you do take the time to shell fresh peas, you will be rewarded with a special bright, springy flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions, (about 3 bunches)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shelled fresh peas (4 1/2 pounds unshelled), or frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, or tarragon leaves for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add peas and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peas are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan, pressing on the solids. Reheat gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chervil (or tarragon), if desired, and serve.
Per serving: 141 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 340 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)