Spring Green Salad with Rouille Dressing
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Fresh spring greens are set off by a dressing that takes its cue from the classic bouillabaisse flavoring, a nutty, creamy, garlicky mélange that's stirred into the soup just before it's served.
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup jarred pimiento peppers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into thin half-moons
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, cut or torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 24 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Toast hazelnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and let cool for 5 minutes. Add pimientos, garlic, water, vinegar, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Combine cucumber, celery, romaine, spinach and basil in a salad bowl. Add the dressing, toss gently, and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: White balsamic vinegar is unaged balsamic made from Italian white wine grapes and grape musts (unfermented crushed grapes). Its mild flavor and clear color make it ideal for salad dressing.
Per serving: 64 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- April/May 2005