Spring Green Salad with Rouille Dressing
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Fresh spring greens are set off by a dressing that takes its cue from the classic bouillabaisse flavoring, a nutty, creamy, garlicky mélange that's stirred into the soup just before it's served.
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup jarred pimiento peppers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into thin half-moons
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, cut or torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 24 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Toast hazelnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and let cool for 5 minutes. Add pimientos, garlic, water, vinegar, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Combine cucumber, celery, romaine, spinach and basil in a salad bowl. Add the dressing, toss gently, and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: White balsamic vinegar is unaged balsamic made from Italian white wine grapes and grape musts (unfermented crushed grapes). Its mild flavor and clear color make it ideal for salad dressing.
Per serving: 64 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- April/May 2005