Spring Green Salad with Rouille Dressing
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Fresh spring greens are set off by a dressing that takes its cue from the classic bouillabaisse flavoring, a nutty, creamy, garlicky mélange that's stirred into the soup just before it's served.
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup jarred pimiento peppers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into thin half-moons
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, cut or torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 24 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Toast hazelnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and let cool for 5 minutes. Add pimientos, garlic, water, vinegar, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Combine cucumber, celery, romaine, spinach and basil in a salad bowl. Add the dressing, toss gently, and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: White balsamic vinegar is unaged balsamic made from Italian white wine grapes and grape musts (unfermented crushed grapes). Its mild flavor and clear color make it ideal for salad dressing.
Per serving: 64 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- April/May 2005