Spring Chicken & Blue Cheese Salad
This main-dish chicken salad has bright flavors of tarragon in a creamy blue cheese dressing with just a touch of sweetness from honey.
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (see Tips)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Creamy Blue Cheese-Tarragon Dressing
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 head radicchio, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula or mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (see Tips) and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare chicken: Combine yogurt, garlic, oil and tarragon in a large bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the bowl; turn to coat. Place the chicken in a baking dish and cover completely with the yogurt mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Thinly slice the chicken when cool enough to handle.
- To prepare dressing: Mash blue cheese, oil, vinegar, tarragon and honey together in a medium bowl with a fork until well combined. For a creamier dressing, add yogurt 1 tablespoon at a time, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble salad: Gently toss lettuce, radicchio and arugula (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Divide the greens among 4 plates, top with equal portions of the chicken, spoon 2 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad and sprinkle with walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Thick and creamy Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk. Because the whey has been removed, you can cook with Greek yogurt without the normal separation that occurs when cooking with regular yogurt.
- To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 421 calories; 29 g fat (6 g sat, 14 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 487 mg sodium; 443 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 non-fat milk, 3 lean meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)