Spinach with Chickpeas
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Enjoy this vegetable-rich nibble as they do in Spain, spooned onto small rounds of fresh or lightly toasted bread.
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
Per serving: 120 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007