Spinach with Chickpeas
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Enjoy this vegetable-rich nibble as they do in Spain, spooned onto small rounds of fresh or lightly toasted bread.
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
Per serving: 120 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007