Spinach with Chickpeas
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Enjoy this vegetable-rich nibble as they do in Spain, spooned onto small rounds of fresh or lightly toasted bread.
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
Per serving: 120 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007