Spinach & Warm Mushroom Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this hearty mushroom and spinach salad recipe, sturdier “mature” spinach leaves hold up better than baby spinach when tossed with the warm mushroom-and-bacon vinaigrette.
- 8 cups spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped radicchio
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Combine spinach and radicchio in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and shallot and cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar and honey, scraping up any browned bits. Immediately pour the warm vinaigrette over the spinach mixture and toss to coat.
Per serving: 137 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014