Spinach & Warm Mushroom Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this hearty mushroom and spinach salad recipe, sturdier “mature” spinach leaves hold up better than baby spinach when tossed with the warm mushroom-and-bacon vinaigrette.
- 8 cups spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped radicchio
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Combine spinach and radicchio in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and shallot and cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar and honey, scraping up any browned bits. Immediately pour the warm vinaigrette over the spinach mixture and toss to coat.
Per serving: 137 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014