Spinach & Warm Mushroom Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this hearty mushroom and spinach salad recipe, sturdier “mature” spinach leaves hold up better than baby spinach when tossed with the warm mushroom-and-bacon vinaigrette.
- 8 cups spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped radicchio
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Combine spinach and radicchio in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and shallot and cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar and honey, scraping up any browned bits. Immediately pour the warm vinaigrette over the spinach mixture and toss to coat.
Per serving: 137 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014