Spinach & Warm Mushroom Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this hearty mushroom and spinach salad recipe, sturdier “mature” spinach leaves hold up better than baby spinach when tossed with the warm mushroom-and-bacon vinaigrette.
- 8 cups spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped radicchio
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Combine spinach and radicchio in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and shallot and cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar and honey, scraping up any browned bits. Immediately pour the warm vinaigrette over the spinach mixture and toss to coat.
Per serving: 137 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014