Spinach & Tomato Omelet
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diet (2007)
This colorful, flavorful omelet packs two servings of vegetables. Now that's starting your day off right!
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed, with water still clinging to leaves
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and scallion and cook, stirring once or twice, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Place spinach on top, cover and let wilt, about 30 seconds. Stir to combine.
- Pour in egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the egg is starting to set, about 20 seconds. Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath, until mostly set, about 30 seconds more.
- Sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper over the omelet. Lift up an edge of the omelet and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon water under it. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the egg is completely set and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Fold over using the spatula and serve.
Per serving: 152 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 619 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- The EatingWell Diet (2007)