Spinach Salad with Steak & Blueberries
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Combine steak, walnuts, blueberries and feta cheese in this simple salad and you have yourself a healthy and satisfying supper. Serve with grilled baguette and a glass of rosé.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tips)
- 3 tablespoons fruity vinegar, such as raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or canola oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pulse 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup walnuts, vinegar, shallot, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor to form a chunky paste. With the motor running, add oil until incorporated. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle steak with pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 6 minutes per side for medium. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Divide the spinach among 4 plates. Thinly slice the steak crosswise. Top the spinach with the steak, feta and the remaining blueberries and walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 392 calories; 26 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 494 mg sodium; 748 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (114% daily value), Zinc (36% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (34% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron & Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010