Spinach Salad with Warm Maple Dressing
Pure maple syrup, as opposed to artificially flavored and colored "pancake" syrup, is an extraordinary cooking ingredient. Here it adds body as well as rich flavor to the dressing, providing a perfect counterpoint to the smoked cheese.
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, torn, or 12 cups baby spinach
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Gouda or Cheddar
- Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Toss spinach and cucumber in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Immediately pour the dressing over the spinach and cucumber. Toss well and sprinkle with cheese and toasted pecans.
Per serving: 163 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 183 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value); Folate (37% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique