Spinach Salad with Warm Maple Dressing
Pure maple syrup, as opposed to artificially flavored and colored "pancake" syrup, is an extraordinary cooking ingredient. Here it adds body as well as rich flavor to the dressing, providing a perfect counterpoint to the smoked cheese.
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, torn, or 12 cups baby spinach
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Gouda or Cheddar
- Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Toss spinach and cucumber in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Immediately pour the dressing over the spinach and cucumber. Toss well and sprinkle with cheese and toasted pecans.
Per serving: 163 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 183 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value); Folate (37% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique